Thursday, October 01, 2009

The September Issue


The September Issue was OK.

I got what I expected and was happy, but I never really had any special fondness for the real Vogue September 2007 issue despite it being a record breaking biggest issue ever. Exactly, whatever.

I’m sure it has over 840 pages of fashion but honestly, I believe more than 70% of those 840 pages were probably advertisements.

So when the docufilm showed only 1 scene of the Vogue sales team, I thought that was really unfair towards their significant contribution to making the issue what it is.

On the other hand, I was very satisfied to see “first hand” the behind-the-scene production process at Vogue and of course, Anna Wintour. I’ve always been a big fan of Ms. Wintour ever since I found out she was the EIC for my favourite mag, and I loved her even more when I learnt that she inspired the book, Devil Wears Prada. Never really an idol person, but if I had to have one, Anna Wintour would be my one.

The September Issue film satiated my curiosity and more by giving more insights the delightful and fiercely talented Ms. Grace Coddington. I absolutely adore her fashion stories; the details that she show and the attention that she gives to her work are just insanely brilliant.

But besides all that, the film was OK. Stereotypes about the fashion industry are still intact, nothing new and surprising was revealed. I think I was more excited with the trailer than when I walked out from the theater.

2 comments:

nycrun said...

i still want to see it
http://nycrunfashion.blogspot.com

meow said...

Oh yes absolutely! I'd do the same thing. Wouldn't miss the chance to watch Anna Wintour in action and the behind-the-scene of Vogue.

Come to think of it, I am going to invest in its DVD. ;-)